Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Yoga is Community

I have been taking yoga classes for the last year and a half at the Women’s’ Wellness Center. I find yoga to be a community because I have the opportunity to connect with my fellow students, the instructors and the people on the street (when they see my yoga mat), and finally there is the internet yoga community.
What holds this community together is the mindful movements that you feel silly doing by yourself with other people watching you. The exploration of personal fitness, health, nutrition, and freedom of movement brings us each to the class room. This community is about you in an unselfish way. You listen to yourself, your body and what it wants to do with each pose. Your own voices are they only thing that can stop you from coming to class. It is your personal choice to take time out of your day to come to class or the mat for your own personal yoga experience. Once you get to class our instructors aids us in letting go of our busy crazy days.
We Yogi’s share a need to feel better, be centered and have a better quality to our lives. Some of us share the nutritional support to your yoga practices. We also share limitations and when we let go of the “I can’t do that” mentality, we are free to explore a pose which make us stronger and healthier. There is nothing like your first shoulder stand or your first head stand.
I fit into this community in a since that I want to feel better; I want to have more quality movements and be stronger. I want less low back and leg pain. I don’t think I look like the cookie cutter yoga student. I am overweight and I don’t know but that makes me think that other can feel more comfortable in class, because if I can do it they should know they can do it too. In addition to the class room experience I enjoy reading about the yoga poses we do and the effects on my body from these poses. I also enjoy talking to people about yoga and what we did in class and how nice it feels when you do something you didn’t think you could do.

1 comment:

English 101 said...

Good post, Heather. Thanks. -Ann